...Growing, Building, Cooking, Preserving, Crafting...

2006 began our urban homestead when I broke ground on a garden, which now includes perennial fruits, flowers, & many vegetable varieties. We dream of solar panels, keeping bees and hens. Until then we'll continue growing and preserving our own fruits and vegetables, building what we can for our home, cooking from scratch, and crafting most days.

1.08.2010

Happy New Year! Planning for the best garden yet.

As 2009 wound down and the holidays approached, I anticipated sitting down with my stack of new seed catalogs to dream, plan, and select vegetables to grow this year. The first pass through the pages, the sky is always the limit. I dog-ear every page that interests me, as if I had acres of land on which to grow. Then I go through my leftover seeds, see what's still usable and what was successful last season, then I return to the catalogs and pick out what I can realistically grow in my space and microclimate. This year I am excited to design my garden with a variety of color (i.e. red and green lettuces) and geometric plantings (not just straight rows, but perhaps some diagonals). I am also planning to use a lot more trellises for growing dry beans, peas, and cucumbers. Space is limited so to expand I must grow UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment