...Growing, Building, Cooking, Preserving, Crafting...

2006 began our urban homestead when I broke ground on a garden, which now includes perennial fruits, flowers, & many vegetable varieties. We dream of solar panels, keeping bees and hens. Until then we'll continue growing and preserving our own fruits and vegetables, building what we can for our home, cooking from scratch, and crafting most days.

7.15.2010

Berry Picking Round 2 1/2

Today Vera and I went out for another round of picking wild black raspberries and mulberries.  We tried earlier this week when there were loads of berries, but the mosquitoes were too horribly thick.  I could feel them biting me every time I stepped into the thicket and I just couldn't bear it.  Today I saw a lot of berries that had dried on the canes (too bad), but I just couldn't handle it before.  This afternoon there was a wonderful lake breeze and not a mosquito in site.  I often mentally write my blog entries when I'm out in the "field."  Today I was thinking about what gardening has taught me about life.  I can relate wild foraging in the same way.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Wild Berry Picking:

  • Seize the day--go out and get it while you can because tomorrow the best might be gone.
  • Stop and taste the berries--take time to notice the sweet little things in life.
  • Check things out from every angle--it pays to examine all points of view before making a decision.
  • Choose your battles--it's not always worth sacrificing life and limb for what seems like the best at the moment.
  • Enjoy the scenery--it's good to focus on the details, but don't let the rest of the world pass you by in the process. 
And don't forget to share with your friends.  Vera enjoyed eating the berries right off the vine today.  In fact, letting her sample them was what got us through the foray.  She was antsy and hungry so this was a good pacifier.  And it's a good thing I have LIRIO.  My co-worker, Hortencia, from my first pastry job gave me this alkaline soap that she must have found at some obscure hispanic grocery.  I haven't seen it anywhere since, but it's amazing at getting out any berry or beet stain.

The green beans are absolutely bursting in our small patch.  Just today I harvested a total of 2 1/4 lbs. of both bush beans and pole beans.  Next week I plan to make time for dilly beans.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Annie,
    Thanks for the wonderful cooking class on pickles- The jar looks so pretty! Here's the web address for that cooking school I mentioned (Savory Spoon) in Door County:
    http://www.savoryspoon.com/ ~ Nan

    ReplyDelete