...Growing, Building, Cooking, Preserving, Crafting...

2006 began our urban homestead when I broke ground on a garden, which now includes perennial fruits, flowers, & many vegetable varieties. We dream of solar panels, keeping bees and hens. Until then we'll continue growing and preserving our own fruits and vegetables, building what we can for our home, cooking from scratch, and crafting most days.

12.21.2010

Time to Take it Slowly...

Busy needles
The winter has been slow thus far.  I am nearing the end of a knitting project that I've fought with for at least a week until today when I realized that I was reading the pattern incorrectly.  The light went on and now I'm off and running again.  Hoping to have it done in the next day or so to wrap for Vera for the holidays.  Stay tuned.  Otherwise, still working on plans for my new dietary needs for the new year.  We're hosting my in-laws for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day and I'm excited to prepare a sort of German-themed meal for the big day--my Gramma's Beef Rouladen with Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage.  Admittedly when I was a vegetarian for a few years in college, I'd secretly eat this when I came home on breaks and my mom prepared it.  Who can turn down braised beef stuffed with dill pickles and mustard?  Mmm...

We attended a holiday party in the western suburbs of Chicago this past Sunday.  I brought a vegetarian dish and promised the ladies at the party I'd share the recipe.

Simple Roasted Winter Vegetables
Serves 4

Adapted from Eat Fresh, Stay Healthy by Tony Tantillo and Sam Gugino.  You can take liberties with root vegetables and substitute/add rutabaga, Brussels sprouts, leeks, etc.  

3 medium potatoed, washed but unpeeled
3 small turnips, peeled
3 medium parsnips, peeled
1 1/2 lbs. butternut squash or other winter squash, peeled and seeded
3 medium carrots, peeled
1/4 c. vegetable stock
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
8-10 small onions, peeled
1 t. dried basil
Basil pesto, optional

Preheat oven to 400 degrees  Cut potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and squash into 1 1/4-1 1/2-inch square chunks.  Cut carrots into 1 1/2-inch lengths.  Mix stock with 1 T. olive and half salt and pepper.  In a large mixing bowl, pour mixture over vegetables and toss.  Put potatoes, turnips, parsnips, carrots, and onions in a large roasting pan.  Roast 15 min.  Add squash and cook 30-35 min. more, stirring a few times, until nicely browned and easily pierced with a fork.  Toss with remaining oil, salt and pepper, and basil.  Serve with basil pesto if desired.





No comments:

Post a Comment