|"Peasant Dress" for Vera|
I'm remaining positive about the intense heat in our area this week. Though I'm sure our monthly electric bill will be higher than ever, I'm focusing on what I predict will be an outstanding, delicious tomato crop as well as lots of cucumbers. This is also great weather for completely drying our laundry outside, which may ever ever so slightly offset the higher A/C bill. Though I have to get up at the crack of dawn to start the washing machine so I don't have to drip sweat all over my clean clothes as I pin them up.
This week's weather has been perfect for hiding out in the basement in my craft corner. The sewing machine has been busy since Monday. I started and finished a 3T dress for Vera in just a couple of days--it's a "peasant style" dress made of calico samples from my fabric cabinet. The bodice/sleeve pieces were from a thrift store, the orange middle ruffle is a former pillowcase, and the bottom ruffle is a bold calico I picked up at the antique flea market last year. I bought the pattern on sale last year and used a coupon to purchase the elastic for sleeves and neckline for next to nothing. So once again, it's sewing cute stuff on the cheap.
|I love this crazy calico from the antique flea market|
The second dress was one of my few attempts to upcycle--or rather deconstruct/reconstruct. I was
inspired by my friend at At the End of This Row who reworked a women's skirt into a youngster's skirt. Since then my thrifting/rummaging eyes have a new perspective. On one of my first rummaging jaunts this summer I bought this women's blouse because I liked the fabric and thought I could turn it into a dress for Vera. After completing the other dress in the morning, our afternoon basement time gave way to approaching my mending pile, which has sort of drifted into my pile of items to upcycle or reuse. This sundress took me only about an hour mostly because I tried to use the original garment's finished edges so I wouldn't have to make facings or do much hemming. The bottom of the dress is the original hem of the blouse, the upper back band is from the neckband of the blouse (and still has the H&M tag--so if Vera wants to think she's name brand...), the crossover piece in the front was reworked from the crossover on the front of the blouse, and the straps are the finished edge from the end of the sleeves. I basically cut the skirty part off the top, regathered it, and made the aforementioned pieces from the back and crossover into the band atop the empire waist, then added the straps. It's a tad big on Vera, but will likely fit her next year. The fabric is very stretchy and bouncy so it should be both fun and comfortable for her to wear.
|New crossover and straps|
|Straps are cut from the old finished edges of the sleeves|
|Back band was the original back of the blouse|
|The last of my 2010 canned sweet cherries|
Cherry Almond Muffins
Makes 1 dozen
Adapted from Smart Muffins by Jane Kinderlehrer.
2 eggs (or 1 T. egg replacer diluted with 1/4 c. water)
2 T. olive oil
3 T. pure maple syrup
1/4 c. almond extract
3/4 c. apple juice (or other fruit juice)
2 T. brandy or amaretto (or sub. more juice)
1 1/2 c. all-purpose gluten-free flour
1/4 c. oat bran
2 T. lecithin granules
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. xanthan gum
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. chopped almonds
|Texture turned out great!|