...Growing, Building, Cooking, Preserving, Crafting...

2006 began our urban homestead when I broke ground on a garden, which now includes perennial fruits, flowers, & many vegetable varieties. We dream of solar panels, keeping bees and hens. Until then we'll continue growing and preserving our own fruits and vegetables, building what we can for our home, cooking from scratch, and crafting most days.

2.09.2010

Snowed in!


Vera and I were homebound today.  We took advantage of the big snowstorm and stayed warm by cooking and baking.  I've been trying my hand at some gluten-free recipes lately.  I made a Four Flour Bread from Bette Hagman's The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread.  I was surprised and thrilled with how light and fluffy it turned out; my experience with baking gluten-free is that breads are very dense.  This one was right up there with the best wheat flour breads I've baked (which are few and far between).  I enjoyed the first slice still warm from the oven, slathered with butter, but toasted a couple more slices for a sandwich: smoked turkey breast, Muenster cheese, local winter greens, spread with an Herbed Yogurt Dip leftover from Superbowl hors d'oeuvres.  

Herbed Yogurt Dip 
(adapted from Hors D'oeuvres by Eric Treuille and Victoria Blashford-Snell)
Makes about 2 cups


1 c. fresh parsley, chopped
1 c. fresh basil, chopped
1/2 c. fresh chives, chopped
zest from 1/2 lemon or 1/2 t. dried lemon peel
juice of 1 lemon
6 oz. cream cheese, in small chunks
1 c. whole milk yogurt
3 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


Place herbs, lemon juice and peel, cream cheese, yogurt, and oil in a food processor or blender; pulse until well blended.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and refrigerate for 30 min. to allow the flavors to blend.  Serve chilled with vegetable crudites--I recommend carrot and daikon sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment