...Growing, Building, Cooking, Preserving, Crafting...

2006 began our urban homestead when I broke ground on a garden, which now includes perennial fruits, flowers, & many vegetable varieties. We dream of solar panels, keeping bees and hens. Until then we'll continue growing and preserving our own fruits and vegetables, building what we can for our home, cooking from scratch, and crafting most days.

2.07.2010

Stuffed!

We rounded out our Portland trip with more eating and drinking on Friday. Didn't get to tour Widmer's Brewery as we'd originally hoped so we spent some time walking the downtown area and enjoying more local fare: coffee and delicious breakfast pastries at Stumptown Coffee, a bacon/maple long john at Voodoo Doughnut, artisan roasted espresso at Spella Caffe (owned by my former Sanford co-worker Andrea Spella), street food (everything you could want from German and Polish to Thai, Korean, and Mexican and beyond all on one block), and a beer sampler at Deschutes Brew Pub. Once again, Vera was a trooper!

We're all glad to be home and in our own beds. I like traveling because not only are they inspiring foodwise (and in Portland's case fashionwise), but they give me a fresh start when I get back. I feel like, "okay, I did that, I relaxed, now I'm ready to start a new week here." It won't take me long to get back to my usual running around. In fact, tomorrow I'm planning to get the supplies for my custom soilless mix and start seeding.

Back to the homestead.

No comments:

Post a Comment