...Growing, Building, Cooking, Preserving, Crafting...

2006 began our urban homestead when I broke ground on a garden, which now includes perennial fruits, flowers, & many vegetable varieties. We dream of solar panels, keeping bees and hens. Until then we'll continue growing and preserving our own fruits and vegetables, building what we can for our home, cooking from scratch, and crafting most days.

3.14.2013

Know Your Farmer

Last Saturday I went to a reunion.  Not for the class of '96  or '00, but a reunion of farmers and friends in our region.  It was the Local Farmer Open House, a chance for community members to meet farmers and learn about Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and local food.  I lead two sessions of a workshop called "Cooking From Your CSA Box" in an attempt to sway those thinking about joining a CSA and encourage current subscribers that they'll, indeed, be able to successfully cook with everything in their weekly boxes and get their money's worth, not to mention make important connections with growers and producers.  I also did an impromptu interview for this clip:



At this event I reunited with farmer friends I hadn't seen since last spring, fellow food enthusiasts with whom I haven't spent enough time, the farmers who raise the certified organic Thanksgiving turkeys we purchase year after year, and my own CSA farmers (who I'm having dinner with next week.)  I saw my close friend who manages that branch of Urban Ecology Center and whom I would spend time with later that evening, worker share friends I've joined in the summers getting our hands dirty in the field, alumni from my food preservation classes who were eager to tell me how the preservation season ended for them last year and share a new recipe or idea.  And I met so many new people--potential CSA subscribers and class attendees, new farmers--both urban and rural, community organizers, and others who are simply curious about local food.  It was such a heartwarming day; I feel incredibly lucky to be connected to such an honest, wholesome, energetic, healthy, diverse group of people.  It got me excited for all that this season holds--warmth, bounty, community, and more.  Knowing your farmer and the heart and soul they've put into the food you eat is my wish for all.  It was an amazing reunion, but I hope it isn't the only time this season that I see so many of these talented folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment