...Growing, Building, Cooking, Preserving, Crafting...

2006 began our urban homestead when I broke ground on a garden, which now includes perennial fruits, flowers, & many vegetable varieties. We dream of solar panels, keeping bees and hens. Until then we'll continue growing and preserving our own fruits and vegetables, building what we can for our home, cooking from scratch, and crafting most days.

11.23.2011

I'm So Thankful

Vera's hand and foot turkey (w/ added flowers)
will grace our table tomorrow.
Wishing everyone a "Happy Turkey Day"--my dream is that some day everyone (who eats turkey) will enjoy a bird that's led a happy, humane life.

I'm thankful for...

  • Being able to put food on our Thanksgiving table and having people to share it with us.
  • The local farmers, producers, winemakers, cheesemakers, etc. who work tirelessly to craft food worthy of eating.
  • The growing number of farmers' markets in our city.
  • A warm home in which to eat and live.
  • A loving husband and bright, energetic child.
  • Our family's health.
  • Grandparents near and far.
  • Having a good relationship with both my parents and my in-laws.
  • Siblings who have managed to stay in touch no matter the physical distance between us.
  • People who have faith in me.
  • Reuniting (whether in-person or via social networking) with "old friends," especially those who can pick up where we left off.
  • Friends who are amazingly persistent at pulling me out of the shell of my home--especially in the depths of winter--to hang out, bond, laugh.
  • The amazing, supportive group of mamas I trust and admire within the Holistic Moms Network.
  • Options for alternative healthcare and wellness.
  • Having been healthy enough for a homebirth--the most empowering experience of my life thus far.
  • My husband's opportunity to spend Fridays at home with our daughter nearly ever week.
  • My talents that make it easier and more fun to maintain an urban homestead.  
  • Knowing how to cook and bake.
  • My love for reading and a mother who instilled that in me.
  • My love for writing and a mother who reads all my stories.
  • Growing up in a creative family.
  • My growing (albeit little by little) patience.
  • My employer for job flexibility, my co-workers for weekly camaraderie and occasional therapy.
  • The people who've let me share my passion for preserving with them over the past several years of teaching classes.
  • Friends who have given me opportunities for side gigs.
  • Friends who have watched my child in exchange for preserves.
  • Our spiritual community.
  • The ability to be productive (...though still on my goals list is learning how to relax and unwind more easily.)
  • Train travel.
  • Bicycles.
  • Living in a walkable neighborhood.
  • Coffee!
  • Chocolate!
  • Vices that regularly get me through the day (see previous two bullet points) without doing too much damage to my body.
  • A sweet child who likes to cuddle once in a while.  
  • An honest husband, the realist to my idealist, who gives amazing advice and often brings me back down to Earth.
...and so much more.  I will think about all of these gifts in my life, especially tomorrow!  Peace be with you all this holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment